The Communications Manager will assist with developing and implementing VIHFA’s marketing and public relations strategy, building its reputation and ensuring effective media coverage. This individual will draft internal and external communications including press releases, media alerts and content on social and online media, forge relations with journalists and key influencers and assist with managing the response to crisis situations. This is a Territorial position and requires inter-island travel.
- Serves as the public face and voice of the Authority.
- Responsible for the development, maintenance, and enhancement of a comprehensive informational program for the Authority. Creates oral, printed and video materials about VIHFA’s programs for dissemination to the public.
- Accepts comments and complaints from the public. Research data, gather facts and work with staff to develop the Authority’s response.
- Organizes special events such as press conferences, public hearings and meetings to announce major news and/or provide essential information. Answers on-the-spot questions when possible and provides updates as developments changes.
- Travels to the Authority’s sites and developments to alleviate crisis or address complaints, sometimes on short notice.
- Prepares press releases and distributes to the media and general public. Shares information clearly, calmly, and accurately.
- Maintains good working relationships with elected officials, media and other public information officers.
- Accepts phone calls and emails from reporters regarding the Authority and provides clarity or additional information on the contents of press releases.
- Assists with the development and implementation of short-term and long-term public information, public relations, and marketing programs that support the overall mission, vision and objectives of VIHFA.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with members of the press. Initiates/participates in video, audio and telephone interviews with local and regional media.
- Assists with the preparation and dissemination of a wide variety of public information regarding the Authority’s business utilizing news release, press conferences, commercials, public service announcements, newsletters, articles, whitepapers, brochures, special presentation, script and speeches, conceptualizes and co-produces electronic media presentations about the Authority’s programs and services.
- Develop advertising campaigns, marketing promotions and social media campaigns.
- Develops and updates communications & marketing calendar.
- Manage administrative tasks such as filing and processing invoices.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Journalism, Business Administration, Mass Media Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or related field required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in journalism, mass media, communications or public relations. Working knowledge of principles of journalism. Experience in writing on tight deadlines and can turnaround press releases within a very short period of time. Working knowledge of principles, techniques and objectives of public information and public relations programs. Experience with working with and answering reporters’ questions. Have supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience. Professional photography skills a plus.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Working knowledge of the Authority’s programs and developments desirable. Excellent research, copyediting and proofreading skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Must be able to take fast notes. Must have experience in writing business memos and department reports. Must be able to quickly comprehend and explain complicated issues. Must be savvy in the use of social and digital media and utilizing such platforms to effectively communicate with the public. Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, major social media platforms and online content management systems, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop a plus. Familiarity with constituent management database system. Ability to exercise considerable initiative, independent judgment and discretion in performing duties, including confidential matters. Strong public relations skills. Ability to interact effective, tactful and professionally with employees, media and the public. Valid Driver’s License.
SALARY: $65,000 - $75,000 per annum depending upon qualifications. CDBG-DR/MIT/E-RGID grant funded position.