Homebuyers Education & Counseling
The Virgin Islands Housing Finance Authority offers a variety of programs and counseling services to prepare first time homebuyers and assist existing homeowners.
Housing Counseling Program
The Housing Counseling program offers personalized counseling services to an individual or family. Counseling focuses on overcoming budget and credit challenges. The duration of counseling is based on the needs of the individual or family.
Upon completion of Housing Counseling, one will have the ability to:
- Apply sound financial principles
- Develop a process of overcoming financial indebtedness
- Identify and modify ineffective money management behaviors
- Develop successful strategies for achieving your financial goals
Home Buyers Education Program
The Home Buyers Education Program (HBEP) is an instructional guide for first-time home buyers to learn about the entire purchase process step-by-step. HBEP involves a minimum of 18 hours of structured training to potential first-time homeowner
Upon completion of the HBEP, participants will have a better understanding of:
- Homeownership Readiness
- Managing Your Money
- Understanding Credit
- Obtaining a Mortgage Loan
- Shopping for a Home
- Protecting Your Investment
Financial Fitness training is building consumers’ decision-making skills related to financial matters.
Common topics include:
- Setting financial goals and making decisions
- Knowing the importance of savings and investing
- Developing a budget and spending plan
- Tracking expenses
- Getting credit and using it wisely
- Understanding and repairing credit reports, stressing the importance of paying bills on time
- Using banking and other financial services
- Protecting one-self against consumer scams and predatory lending.